We have recently updated how you may update and manage your cookie preferences when using cmcmarkets.ca (“Website”).
To change your cookie preferences at any time click the update cookie preferences link found at the bottom of each webpage on our Website.
What are cookies?
A cookie is a small file, typically of letters and numbers, downloaded on to a device when the user accesses certain websites. Cookies allow a website to recognise a user’s device. For more information see: http://www.aboutcookies.org
How we classify our cookies
Cookies and the technology that uses them vary significantly between websites so it is important that you understand how we classify cookies that we use on our Website.
CMC Cookies are “first party cookies”, that is to say that these are cookies set by our Website and our sister domain names. These cookies are required for you to access and use the Website and the next generation trading platform and to monitor the performance of the Website. We do not share any of your data collected by the cookies with any third party.
CMC Cookies do not:
- Gather information that may be used to advertise to you on our Website or any other third party websites;
- Send you targeted advertisements on any other third party websites;
- Provide information to other third party companies such as social networks about your visit to our Website;
- Supply advertising agencies and networks with information about you so that they can present you with advertisements whilst visiting other third party websites.
CMC Cookies will:
Enable your account opening application process and to enable us to remember how far you have got to in respect of your application process;
- Enable your account opening application process and to enable us to remember how far you have got to in respect of your application process;
- Remember your login details;
- Make the Website look consistent;
- Allow you to interact with the services that we offer such as initiating the chat or comment functionality on the Website;
- Allow us to make sure our services work more effectively by monitoring visits and performance and errors. We achieve this through internal systems and Google Analytics when you visit our Website.
Please note that you will be required to accept the CMC Cookies to use and access our Website and to enable us to offer you with our services. If you do not accept these cookies to be used or set your browser settings such that it does not accept CMC Cookies, then you may not be able to access or use some of the Website functionalities, nor will we be able to provide you with our services.
Other cookies are third party cookies presented by companies with whom we work as part of our marketing initiatives. The third party cookies that we use are listed below and they provide information to the third party about your visit to our Website.
Most of these ‘other cookies’ are used to measure the effectiveness and performance of our advertising such as banners and pay per click advertising on third party websites on which we may be promoting. Whilst they do collect your data, we have endeavoured to ensure that the information they collect is anonymised.
Other cookies will:
- Measure our the effectiveness of our advertising initiatives;
- Provide information to our partners about your visit to their Website;
- Gather information that may be used to advertise to you on other third party websites;
- Send targeted advertisements to you on third party websites.
The cookies we classify as ‘Other Cookies’ are as follows:
We do not guarantee that the lists of CMC Cookies and Other Cookies set out above are up-to-date but we will use our reasonable endeavours to notify you of any changes.
We also use Flash Cookies to remember your username, whether you are using a “live” or “demo” trading account and your language settings when you login to your trading account. Flash cookies are also known as “local shared object” and used to personalise your user experience. Whilst you do not require Flash Cookies to use or access our website or the next generation platform, Flash Cookies will help enhance your user experience.
For more information on how to remove Flash Cookies from your computer, please click here
Useful information about cookies can be found at:
Internet Advertising Bureau
A guide to behavioural advertising and online privacy has been produced by the internet advertising industry which can be found at:
International Chamber of Commerce United Kingdom
Information on the ICC (UK) UK cookie guide can be found on the ICC website section: